Thursday, September 07, 2006

Thoughts...

Girl went to the temple with her mother, fiance and older brother. All with sincere devotion in their minds, and prayers on their lips. It was a very auspicious day. Standing in front of the Lord, hands folded in reverance, heads bowed, eyes closed each one had just one favour to ask from the Deity.

Fiance, "Good Lord, when is she going to consent for the marriage....can't wait so long. Need to get hold of all her money soon. You know that Almighty, don't you!! How much more will you test my patience?"

Mother, "God, give my daughter some sense, why is she marrying this good for nothing fellow? Please make her understand that she must marry the guy I have chosen, he's richer than us.She will be happy.."

Brother, "Oh Lord, let sister marry that boy. Mother isn't too happy and she will leave all her property in my name. She won't leave that oaf a penny, I will ensure that."

Girl, "Oh God, you have been so nice to me!! Loving parents, doting brother and a wonderful husband! I don't ask anything for myself, grant all their wishes for me"

17 comments:

Moo said...

hi varsha! you don't know me, I am nagesh's friend from orkut... I just checked this blog to look for an update on 'mrityunjay', and i came across 'thoughts'! Man, I think the mark of a good writer is to observe and capture the simplest of everyday occurences and put them down in a totally new perspective. and that is just what you have done. Very simple, yet makes just the impact it aims too. beautiful! :) PLEASE keep posting some good stuff. Will love to read.

by the way, please check my blog too, if you happen to find the time. and comment! =)

Nagesh Pai said...

brilliant one Varsha :-)

Varsha said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Aditi said...

Very well done.. ironic isnt it.. but such things do happen

Anonymous said...

Wow..thats a very nice post Varsha. Keep it up..I read your all posts at mystic musings and have a hearty laugh :).

starry said...

Beautiful post and well written.

Varsha said...

@ Aditi..ya ironic..sigh

@ Shipla and starry nights..thanks a lot..

Anonymous said...

Lol! That was a good one!

Rani said...

so sad.. soo true. people can be soo selfish/deviant and portray such a good phony image and pass for the most sincere ppl..
good one!

Anonymous said...

i read this to get over my examination blues ( currently in the midst of an ongoing exam period). quite funny .. was this an authentic piece?? man u helped me overcome exam blues!
n no do not torture ur brain guessing who i might be. you dont even know me. just bitten by wanderlust.

cheers
anon

Varsha said...

@ OJ..thanks...inspired to write more

@ Choco gal...ya true, so true..onw of my worst fears which often comes true, not the story per se, but the fact that people are not as nice as they seem.

@ Anon...glad you feeling better. No this isn't a true story. Well ya I have been in situations where I have wished well for people who may not be my well wishers, unknowingly of course, I am no saint. But gladly this particular piece is far from the truth. My mom likes my fiance who is a good guy. And my brother is not the property hungry types. Lucky me!

Sudeep said...

very sad but very true..
simple yet neat post..

Varsha said...

@ Mukta..sure...sorry mistook you for someone else..thanks

Varsha said...

@ Sudeep..thanks a lot !

Rani said...

varsha, i dont think ure alone in fearing that. i think most of us do, atleast i do. the back stabbing and selfish society that we live in - it is survival of the fittest, sadly enough.

Dadoji said...

Short n sweet.

PURN!MA said...

Words fail me to describe this post...simple yet has a lot of depth in it.

Purnima :)